Salesforce Lightning Admin browser blocks cross-domain cookies use Classic

I see lots of other folks running into this and thought I would post the fix along with my thoughts. (TL;DR).

The error message is “We can’t display this page because your browser blocks cross-domain cookies, but you can view this page in Salesforce Classic. Click here to open this page in Salesforce Classic.” It can happen in several screens and is a result of some of the base domain changes that Salesforce has been making coupled with the security changes browsers have been making. For chromium-based browsers (Edge, Chrome, Brave, etc.) the fix is to add your domain to the cookie exception list.

With screens, the process go as follows:

Go to Settings > Privacy and security
Go to Settings > Privacy and security
Select Cookies and other site data
Select Cookies and other site data
Under Sites that can always use cookies click the Add button
Under Sites that can always use cookies click the Add button
Paste your SFDC domain path in the Site dialog and Check Including third-party cookies on this site
Paste your SFDC domain path in the Site dialog and Check Including third-party cookies on this site

Click the Add button and

Refresh your Salesforce screen [F5]
Refresh your Salesforce screen [F5]
Tada!

Note: You could use a wildcard in place of the sub-domain for all salesforce domains, but I don’t recommend that as it would leave you vulnerable to some miscreants that use their orgs for nefarious purposes.

To summarize:

  1. Go to Settings > Privacy and security
  2. Select Cookies and other site data
  3. Under Sites that can always use cookies click the Add button
  4. Paste your sub-domain and domain path in the Site dialog
  5. Check Including third-party cookies on this site
  6. Click Add button
  7. Refresh your Salesforce screen [F5]
Facebooktwitterredditlinkedinmail
© Scott S. Nelson

Fix for Login to new Salesforce Developer org without token

TL;DR – San Francisco

Here’s the scenario: You signed up for a new free Salesforce Developer account. After filling the form properly you get the screen that they have sent a verification email and, lo and behold, it is immediately in your inbox. You click the link and get…a DNS error. Well, that is annoying, but understandable given the volume of traffic Salesforce deals with. It will propagate eventually, so you decide to come back later.

Later, you come back and the DNS now resolves to your shiny new org, but now the new user token has expired and instead of the prompt to change your password you just get the regular old login screen asking for a username that is in the email and a password that has never been created. This is a Charlie Brown and Lucy place-kicking moment.

Well, this has happened to me a few times, and in the past I just created a new account and eventually would get a notification that the previous org was being decommissioned for non-use. But today I didn’t feel like filling the form out again, so I tried something unique (for me)…when prompted for city on the password reset screen I first tried blank, since that is what it would be if it was never set. That resulted in a note that I was wrong (not the ISO-270001 recommendation, BTW). So I thought “what would have I set as a default response?” And then I thought “the city where headquarters is”. And I was right.

Cheers!

Facebooktwitterredditlinkedinmail
© Scott S. Nelson

Salesforce Trailhead “Challenge not yet complete” most common cause

Ah, Spring is in the air. So are arms, as people new to Salesforce throw them up during Trailhead challenges where they can’t seem to get the hands-on part to pass even though they see the result they expect.

The Trailhead modules and Superbadges are so well organized and written, it may seem like there is an instructor reviewing you submissions, but that would not be practical, profitable, or in the spirit of a cloud platform. The scoring is done by automated tests that are checking that things match exactly as the instructions provided.

The most common cause is that the learner has mis-typed a value provided, usually the API name (i.e., my_variable__c). Runner up to this is the experienced user who is new to Trailhead and uses their own naming conventions rather than following the instructions (been there, done that).

The third common cause is that the module content was updated but the test was not (doesn’t happen that often, but you can tell when there are a bunch of questions on the Trailhead Community about the same problem).

HTH

Facebooktwitterredditlinkedinmail
© Scott S. Nelson